Friday, January 1, 2010

GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF HOME

Green is such an interesting colour, receiving more attention than it should. In a Clean and Green Garden City we live in, green is an abundant colour. Whether Mother Nature has a stronger affinity for green remains to be seen, for I suspect that she has a vociferous wardrobe of colours that she chooses from, depending on which season is in fashion. Personally, I like autumn brown but I may be mistakenly colour-blind in a pile of wilted and withered leaves.

Green is the new black; I am influenced to be fashionably analogous. It describes the emotion of envy. It describes how we feel when our stomach does not agree with the food we ate. I could be still ignorant and naïve about many things, thus tinting my world with a different palette of pigments.

Are women greener than men?

I expect that this may arouse a healthy competitiveness amongst the committed populace. Meanwhile, how can we go beyond Recycle, Re-use and Reduce?

I print on the other side of my used A4 sheet of paper (grown on plantations that breed and grow fast-growing trees for paper pulp only). I scrawl my ideas on these same dissected sheets, phone numbers, URLs, Note-to-Self, and new English and Mandarin phrases.

I switch off lights that are not in use. My life-partner harps me constantly for having the hall-lights on after midnight. Sounds like music to me, at times.

I pay attention to over-charged cell-phones and notebooks. These energy-packs seem to suspiciously diminish in potential the moment you charge them.

I am reminded to carry my own non-plastic bag when I shop for groceries. My triathlon back-pack is my backup for heavy stuff.

I cringe (in strange places of my ectomorphic body) when I watch ice-cubes melt – what a waste of electricity in freezing it in the first place!

Perhaps, we can over-complicate the Energy Equation to include the energy-limiting process of Reflection and Re-engineering?

Reflect on what we have done well, and not? What can we constantly do to improve on how we consume energy (in all sense of the word)? This extends to excessive calories, which may be converted to excess bodyweight, which may entice you to feel comfortable with the trappings of a house that can cool itself with a compressor filled with Freon or other environmentally safe gas. This is Systems Thinking projected forward.

How else can we apply the 3 ‘R’ of Saving the Planet?

Re-engineering is about a conscious effort to review and re-ignite our thinking about how we treat our environment.

My take is simple, for I have a simple mind and act like a simpleton. Treat our immediate environment with human values. Respect our environment. Recognise that we share it with others. Reassure others around us that we are actively doing our part in saving it. If you responded to director/writer M. Night Shyamalan’s plea-film The Happening and Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth, we have to care for ourselves through our environment.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T our environment!

And, that’s that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment